April 23, 2008

Of course now I could post images for the group show....

The solo show opens next Friday May 3rd. It's officially titled, "I forget now what all this is about...*" but instead of an asterisk, it's the number 1, like a footnote. The title is a quote from an endnote of John Ruskin's in Modern Painters. I've written about the relevance of the show's title here. I can be pretty obsessive about details.

We will have to edit the paintings after I take them to the gallery. Though the space is fairly big, 12 paintings will probably be too much information. I've had to deal with these paintings practically overlapping each other in the studio, so I imagine they will benefit with more breathing room than less. If I seem a little excited, it's because it's my first solo show here in Los Angeles to feature only large-scale paintings. I'm defining large scale as 60" x 48" up to 84" x 72" and in the case of the diptych 60" x 96".

The paintings I'm sending to Nashville and NYC are smaller, 20" x 16" and 28" x 22". Scale is a funny thing.

I'm sick today, so I'm doing computer stuff. I should be doing important computer stuff instead of rambling, but this is a nice thing to ramble about-

One of my students had emailed me with a really lame excuse of why he wasn't in class the other day- he bought a Hummer and it wouldn't fit in his garage. I gave him a hard time about the gas mileage, saying I'd be riding my 53 mpg motorcycle to work. After I called in sick this morning, I emailed him saying I was sick and the assignment would be due next week. It was also my way of letting him know I wasn't dead from a motorcycle accident. I received a very sweet email from him saying he was glad it was just a cold- he and few other guys in class knew I rode a motorcycle and since I had never been late or absent, they were concerned. People who ride motorcycles are always concerned if someone doesn't show up. It's like there's a huge buddy system out there.

No comments:

It's over.

Nov 7, 2020. Tears of joy and relief. It's been unreal and I'm ready to get back to a sense of normalcy. The desert has been tough.