May 01, 2013

May Day

a recent to-do list on the back of an unopened envelope:
dog tag
soy creamer
sandpaper
bank depo
a long distance telephone number
a measurement for a cross brace
list of paints to order
notes from a dharma talk
a sketch of how to suspend something from the ceiling
more measurements
a patch of pointillism
a rough sketch of how to suspend something from the ceiling
sit tonight 6:30 pm
9am soy creamer
sand
guns to c.
2 thumbnail sketches
upcoming decisions:
attend a 1-day meditation retreat
or
attend an invitation-only luncheon/reception/press day for local artists involved in the convention center collection
The meditation retreat is winning so far, but professional obligation could win out. I used to view these things as a dress-up break from the studio but....
decisions that settled themselves due to new deadlines:
rent studio in the desert this summer
gave way to
stay in town and make work for 2 solo shows that overlap this fall.
I've been working for 2+ weeks prepping supports for the above shows. I'm almost done building and sanding the panels for one show. The panels are gorgeous in their own right, but whoa. I finally took a break from gessoing and started painting on one. Holy cow. And thus...



I'm also having a déjá vu about this- the whole thing-the show, the gallery, the work- as though one day these particular paintings were an inevitable. The other show was pushed up a few months, so no pressure, but I need a show title and some other things in 2 weeks. Technically, and I do mean technically, I'm running the gamut of painting techniques and pulling from all my MO's and experimenting with new ones.

Some good changes/challenges are ahead. I've made a decision abut something which I have to trust will be for the better, even if currently it makes me a bit nervous.

Faith is a state of openness or trust. To have faith is to trust yourself to the water. When you swim you don't grab hold of the water, because if you do you will sink and drown. Instead you relax, and float." -Alan Watts.

Back in LA, the 20 watercolors I did as part of the LAX installation are in place- details and announcement forthcoming, and PRECOGNITO and INCOGNITO at the Santa Monica Museum of Art are May 9th and 11th respectively. This year's piece is one of my favorites. Meow.
cropped teaser image, I need to find the whole image....



And so it goes. All paint, all the time.

No comments:

It's over.

Nov 7, 2020. Tears of joy and relief. It's been unreal and I'm ready to get back to a sense of normalcy. The desert has been tough.