December 21, 2011

Day 13. Studio

Wednesday.
Have decided to wear mascara for no good reason. Stopped by a friend.'s house for a quick spot of tea. Took a wreath to the cemetery. Had planned on applying for grants. Built 2 stretchers instead. Painted. Had a rough day in the studio. I'm always afraid I'm going to run out of ideas of what to paint and have to rely on abstraction as a fallback. That's the beauty of abstraction: There is no what. I'm still figuring out the beauty of representational work. Killed a small painting. Brought another one back to life. Such is the cycle.
RIP. 
Possibly probably still in progress. 

3 comments:

Nomi Lubin said...

Really like this.

Carla said...

Me to. I can't help but see it as an escher zip line, on the tiny little tree that could.

Elaine Mari said...

love it.

Fear of running out of things to paint is an ever present problem with studio work, I find. That fear is not there when I'm working outside. That makes it so worth all the effort. I say to myself, 'look around, what grabs you? don't think, paint that and add and subtract where necessary. There's always tomorrow'. Somehow there is always something I can settle on.

Again,that is a wonderful painting!

It's over.

Nov 7, 2020. Tears of joy and relief. It's been unreal and I'm ready to get back to a sense of normalcy. The desert has been tough.