October 31, 2009

Pumkin carving skills are rusty. Would not have gotten in art school with a carved pumpkin.

Not that I went to Art School, proper. I have a Liberal Arts education for some reason.

I was going to bail on Halloween this year. I'm not a costume person. Go figure. Nor am I a witty pumpkin carver person either. My artistic skulls end at bad puns, painting, making stuff out of nothing and a ghost of other things. Being the Martha Stewart of pumpkin carving is not on the list.

It might help if I were to design a pumpkin, working up some sort of blueprint in advance. It might also help if I were to use my woodcarving tools instead of a jackknife. And perhaps the slasher approach is a bit hasty. Nonetheless, a pumpkin is on the front porch, and there is too much candy in the house.

4 comments:

M.A.H. said...

Safe...Nice...Creative.
Some kid just told me he liked my pumpkin.

Steven LaRose said...

The book I'm reading makes a big tadoo about Liberal Arts vs. Art school vs. teaching art at all.

I just carve what the other people draw.

M.A.H. said...

What book are you reading?

Does the comment section work as a Q & A or need I email you? I'm forgetting how to effectively communicate since you're no longer on FB.

Steven LaRose said...

"Why Art Cannot Be Taught" by James Elkins. I will likely be excerpting some of it soon.

I think it works fine if we remember to click on the "Follow-up comments will be sent to" option below.

My next post will sorta be about FB.

It's over.

Nov 7, 2020. Tears of joy and relief. It's been unreal and I'm ready to get back to a sense of normalcy. The desert has been tough.