April 26, 2009

I'm beat.

...as in tired. I haven't been on the bike much lately. I've been out of town a lot and it hasn't been under the most pleasant of circumstances. I'm looking forward to staying in the same time zone for more than a month...after next weekend. I go back to Nashville next weekend, but that's another post.

I meet a group of like-minded individuals who ride motorcycles every Sunday, and 4 out of 5 Sunday's, I ride my bike to meet up. Other than that, it's mostly been little short trips to run errands or catch a show or lecture. I haven't commuted to school on the bike once this semester. Today some of us rode up the Mulholland Hwy. to hang out in the backyard of a friend of a friend's B & B, The Knucklehead Inn. Quite lovely and beautiful scenery. And although it would be a decadent get-away for me to hole up in a B & B a mere 40 miles down the road, it's totally a possibility if I need a quick retreat.

It was gorgeous day full of traffic. Nary a pocket of unoccupied asphalt the whole ride home. Which is to say, I was lane-splitting and on the clutch the entire time. Which is to say, I was tired when I got home. Good tired. Which is to say it proved a successful procrastination tactic in avoiding the tiresome divorce paperwork required by the state of California.

So today, I am doing nothing. Tomorrow, I have much to do:
  1. Drop off painting for the Venice Art Walk and Silent Auction. I was hoping to drop off a larger painting from '07, but found out there was a size limit, so instead, I will be donating one of the new small paintings, titled, Shelter from The Storm.
  2. Look for additional work. I'm crossing my finger that I may have a class at Riverside Community College. It's a haul, but it's a nice department & if I'm really lucky there will be a watercolor class to teach.
  3. Figure out how to manage 3 large crated paintings in a city 2000 miles away that are now at another artist's studio when ideally they should have been shipped back here on someone else's dime.
  4. Figure out how to sell a motorcycle that is in a city 2000 miles away and whose battery is dead.
  5. Go to the bank. Cash the Traveller's Checks I was holding onto in case all hell broke loose.
  6. Write large checks to people who want money for doing things like accounting and legal stuff.
  7. Run.
  8. Write out the syllabus for the summer Drawing Class.
  9. Stretch 5 more canvases.
  10. Figure out my net worth and itemize my possessions as required by the State of California.
  11. Spend some quality time with Fang.
  12. Be grateful.

2 comments:

Steven LaRose said...

which is to say
and always hard to remember
the boxes do get checked
Fang's head will tilt knowingly
Your plate is full
Yet your grass seems greener
which is to say
grateful takes work
grateful requires attention

M.A.H. said...

Hey You, Mr. Poetry Man. Thanks.

It's over.

Nov 7, 2020. Tears of joy and relief. It's been unreal and I'm ready to get back to a sense of normalcy. The desert has been tough.